I’ve been looking around pinterest for some DIY sewing ideas and found one that really intrigued me. It was a pretty fancy looking pillow, but I decided after reading the directions that it couldn’t be too hard. I kept it in mind for a future project. (See the tutorial here.)
Some time later I stumbled upon some really cool cording on clearance at Walmart (yes, walmart). I thought it would look really cool on the pillow idea, so I bought myself some fabric for the pillow, too. In the end, I decided that I probably won’t do another one of these for a while. The fabric frayed a lot and pulled … and I had to use a LOT of pins to get the gathers to stay put while I sewed it down.
So it turns out that I really have no idea what I’m doing with the cord around the edges. I sewed it in but I couldn’t get very close; I ended up sewing around the whole pillow by hand to get the seam tight against the cord. Ugh! But the finished product looks pretty cool.
I did also try to make this a slip cover – without reading any sort of instruction on how to do it. After I sewed the cord in by hand the slip cover ended up a little small, and so it doesn’t fit super well anymore. Oh well. I like to think it was a valiant effort on my part, and still looks kinda neat. Plus I learned quite a few things about which fabrics NOT to use, and that sewing in cord is way harder than it looks! (Or I just don’t know what I’m doing :D). So not one of my best projects, but definitely a learning experience.